Friday, October 2, 2009

Day Two: Circle Play


Today I took a class at my local quiltshop (Quiltworks NW) by Reynola Pakusich based on techniques described in her book, Circle Play. It was an all-day class, but like most classes where you learn alot, you don't actually finish the piece.
That's good. If I can finish a piece entirely in one class, it's probably a glorified kit.
I chose to work in black and white because I had a ziploc bag full of 6-inch charm squares from at least five years ago. I decided upon 3-inch circles and 5-inch background blocks. Because I was working in such high contrast, I decided to cut out the circles, then work on designing the background. It is a 4 by 4 grid of mostly half-square triangles. I wanted to have a spiral assymmetrically in the quilt and I think that I've achieved that. I do, however, want to play with placement of the triangles more. That will have to wait. I want to ponder this more before I commit to the background. I can already see the possibility of a more subtle, gray-scaled line throughout as well. That will take time and thought and, most imporantly, play!
Only after the background is pieced, will it be time to applique the circles on top. Given the design exercises I plan this month, I may find an appropriate day to work on this even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment