Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Day Six: Color & Value

Today worked on two exercises. I was scheduled to do a value study, but found a neat color/value study that I also wanted to try.

Exercise 1: Value Contrast. This exercise involved looking at value and contrast in photos and creating a composition and rendering it in low value, high value and high value contrast. I based my composition loosely on a photo taken while camping at Deception Pass. I love the way the sunlight shines through the trees.



Since I only had today to work on this exercise, I simplified mightily. Here is a photo of the three value studies. I am beginning to see the value (no pun intended) of subtle contrast.









Exercise 2: Color Relationships - I just couldn't help myself with this one. The goal of the exercise is to see what happens with a color when it is placed on different backgrounds. Depending upon where the colors are on the color wheel (across from each other, triads, etc.), the foreground color will 'read' brighter or subtler. I picked out 16 of my hand-dyeds and batiks and put a muddy dark green square on each. I intentionally placed the foreground squares off-center. The asymmetry added interest to the piece.


After doing this, I picked out a gradation of purples and placed the same muddy green on each to study value and hue. You can see how some of the hues blend together while those most unlike each other cause the green to 'pop'.

No comments:

Post a Comment