Sunday, October 11, 2009

Day 11: Border control

No, not US borders, quilt borders.

Today, when all the football games were over, I took time to work on border design for the project begun during the Circle Play class. Here's the original piece, just the background, without the circles and unstitched together.


Nice spiral. So far so good.
This is what it looked like after I stitched together the background, added the circles, turned it on point and added triangles.

I like the piece on point but with the circles, it's still a bit flat to me.
This is what it looks like now with the borders added.

The borders make all the difference in the world to me. The small red border really pops and enlivens the piece. The contrast of the border triangles with the border supports the shape and movement of the piece. All of a sudden, the circles float above the surface and I can see some life and excitement.
Now, what am I going to do about quilting it that will enhance it without making it too busy?
That's a task best left for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment