Sunday, October 4, 2009

Day Four: Visual Texture




Today my exercise came from Art + Quilt by Lyric Kinard, visual texture. I took five different fabrics and put them on my copier and made black and white copies of them. Then I cut them up into shapes to arrange them in some pleasing composition. I intentionally worked quickly, trying to not overdesign. Some of the compositions seem to be a good start while others perhaps aren't so promising. The first one on the left 'feels' floral or woodsy to me while the one to the right of it has a light and airy feeling. The third composition is far too busy. Less would definitely have been more. While the one on the right hand side has a pleasing contemporary feel.

3 comments:

  1. Nancy, Great seeing you in La Connor yesterday. I passed your quilt everyday when going to my workshops.
    Making the b/w copies of fabric seems a great way to see their values. The first one is most pleasing to me and as you said it has a woodsy feel.
    Thanks for taking to the time to keep us up to speed. Peggy (aka grandmapls)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this idea... so, is Lyrel concerned about color in this exercise? Are you planning on making any of these as quilts???? I like #1 the best too, as i'm into representational.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may turn some of these exercises into 'real' quilts in the future. It will be interesting to see, after a full month of exploring all aspects of design, to see what I can come up. I am already finding myself more comfortable with a more organic design process. I tend to be a perfectionist and these exercises are very 'freeing'.

    ReplyDelete