Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Day 20: Quilting motifs 1



Have you ever created a quilt top that you worked so hard on, by the time it was time to quilt it, you were terrified that you might ruin it?

That's what I feel like when thinking about quilting a Bear Paw quilt I recently made. The top was meticulously pieced - many blocks were redone if the seams weren't perfect. The setting is original and took me weeks to work out and then weeks again before I had to guts to try and piece the darned thing. Add about a thousand flying geese around the borders and the thing makes my head hurt.

Just the same, it's not a quilt until it's quilted. So I decided to take the opportunity of this month and spend a day working on the quilting design for the quilt.

I'm not finished. It took several hours and a trip to two different quilt shops to gather what I needed then a few hours of pattern choice and transfer until my right wrist was screaming in pain.

The good part about today: I watched some of the DVD that comes with Karen McTavishes book "Quilting for Show" and went out and bought her book "The Secrets of Elemental Quilting" (which also comes with a DVD). Both are available at most quilt stores as well as her website http://www.designerquilts.com/products.html. I've already decided that my task for the month of November will be to go through her books and work on my machine quilting and create at least one wholecloth quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment