Saturday, October 31, 2009

Day 31: What I've Learned

I've made it! A whole month of quilting challenges done. Today I chose to revisit the exercise I did on the first day of the challenge - the art quilt in a box. Below is a photo of the two compositions I created side by side. The one on the left was done on Day 1 and the one on the right was done today, day 31.



The theme for the composition this morning was 'joy' and I feel like I've done a fair job of capturing it. Below is a close up. If you are looking at this online, you might want to double-click on it to see a larger, more detailed photo. That way you will be able to see all of the work I did that doesn't really show up with a smaller pixel image.



To create it, I used leftover pieces of fabrics that had fusible on the back, included some Angelica fibers with Misty Fuse, used Paintsticks to create the spirals and color in the background. I used various decorative threads and some of the built-in stitches on my machine to decorate the composition.

So, what have I learned from this challenge?

  • To relax.
  • To be less of a perfectionist.
  • That sometimes really neat stuff can happen when you least expect it.
  • That adding organza circles can be genius.
  • That Paintsticks aren't so bad after all.
  • That I absolutely love silkscreening, dyeing and discharge.

So where do I go from here?

Next month I am going to work on my machine quilting. I do not plan on blogging every day, though. And I am most definitely taking tomorrow OFF.

Happy stitiching!

No comments:

Post a Comment