Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Day 28: Curves to soften edges

Geometric quilts can be very beautiful, but adding curves can soften the look and add interest. Today I added curves to previous compositions created this month. The quilt created in the Circle Play class does have circles in the center, but the combination of the black and white color scheme and the strong angles create a hard edged look. I decided to use a quilting scheme I've seen done on other quilts - I quilted using large curves.
Coming up with a template put me in a quandary. I tried the largest dinner plate I had, but it was too small. I tried the largest platter but it had a fluted edge. I finally found a glass topper for an occasional table (those three-legged press board tables that many use until they can afford the 'good stuff'). I used a variegated red and black thread for the quilting. It didn't pop the way I expected it to. I guess that just means I'll have to play with paint or hot fix crystals.


Quilted circle play quilt Closeup



The other piece I altered was one I created in the first week of this month - a study of color and shading. I call this one "Square Pegs in Round Holes." I used a gold organza, roughly cut into circles, and machine stitiched them over the green squares. I really like the effect.






No comments:

Post a Comment