Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Day 27: Hand beading

Today was my day to experiment with hand beading. This is something I've wanted to do for quite a while but was anxious because I didn't know where to begin and I had visions of chasing small beads around the room. My small quilting group met today and I needed some hand work, so beading it was. It helped that I hosted the meeting at my house so any errant beads would be a mess I could clean up rather than a mess at someone else's house.


I started with a piece that I created at the beginning of this month of quilt challenge - actual texture. This piece is a collage using many different types of fabrics. It's calm and pleasing albeit a bit boring. It would definitely lend itself to some embellishment.




I picked up some tubes of beads at my local Fred Meyer for cheap and began adding some interest. I decided that the round orb (sun or moon, you pick) could use a little shimmer, so I beaded one half. People tell me this composition looks like fish swimming, so I added a bit of green for the shore little beads as a school fish.

The result is alot more vibrant. Of course, I think it still can use a little more work, so this one will have to remain in my 'working' bin of the quilt studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment