Monday, October 26, 2009

Day 26: Double-sided thread painting

When I went to the La Connor Quilt Show earlier this month I saw a beautiful quilt of a crane. After oo-ing and ah-ing over the threadwork, a volunteer working at the show informed me that I was actually looking at the BACK of the quilt. I walked around to the other side and, lo and behold, I saw the front, an even more beautiful, heavily embellished piece of quilt art. The clever quilter had filled her bobbin with the same thread as the needle, creating a double-sided masterpiece.

I didn't have time today to create such a masterpiece but I did have some time to do some doodling. I stamped one piece of fabric, the front, with a fun gecko stamp painted with a moss green.
Then I waited for the paint to dry, sandwiched the same fabric on the back with batting in between, loaded my bobbin with the same thread and my needle and began to paint with thread. I used two different threads. Then I checked the back. The first bobbin I used was already filled and I discovered that it was filled with thinner thread. The fill in was pretty light. So I changed threads and filled in again. The back still needed work - the front had paint so there were areas I obviously missed. Finally, I turned the piece over and did a final pass over the geckos.
Front Back

No comments:

Post a Comment