Monday, October 12, 2009

Day 12: Background design

In the Circle Play class, I found a new way to create interesting backgrounds. I like to sketch things out first before I start cutting out fabric. Others like to work directly with the fabric. Below are the two pages of designs I created.

Out of these four designs, I liked the interlinked triangles the best.
These designs lend themselves well to charm squares, those 6 inch squares of fabric we all collect at out quilting guilds. I had a Christmas packet in my stash. I used the reds and greens within the packet and added a gold as the light color. Below is the result.
When I add the circles on top of this background, I have a feeling that they will give the look of Christmas ornaments. I could also use other shapes and perhaps a cherub motif or stars as the foreground.
For now, though, this will go into the drawer of "stuff I may never finish."

No comments:

Post a Comment