Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Day 21: Reverse applique'

In honor of Halloween, I decided to feature a Jack-o-lantern as the focus of my reverse applique' project. In applique', you cut out a motif and apply it to a background via sewing or fusible web. In reverse applique', you layer the fabrics, sew around the intended motif and cut away the top fabric to reveal your motif. Below is a picture of my fabrics layered and my motif drawn on the 'background' fabric. I discovered yesterday in my latest Rachel McTavish book, that you can transfer patterns using a light box even on dark fabrics. What a revelation! I just assumed (a bad idea) that the light wouldn't show the image on the dark fabric, but it works like a charm. Now I don't have to transfer my images twice - once using a graphite sheet and then with my white marker.


After transferring my picture, I sewed around the edges and cut away the top layer to reveal the orange fabric.


Then I cut away the orange to reveal yellow eyes and stem and couched yarns around the eyes, nose and mouth.


One thing I might have done different that would have been interesting is to sew the veins of the pumpkin vertically on the pumpkin. Once the fabric was cut away, the veins in black would still remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment