Thursday, October 1, 2009

Day one: Art quilt in a box


Day one and day thirty-one will have the same tasks. I decided to do this as a way to measure what I have learned throughout the month.



I bought this item at silent auction for APNQ a few years ago. It is a box containing different fabrics in different colors, fibers and textures, beads, threads, yarns and a rolling pin. The rolling pin was carved and is to be used to apply paint. I've opened up this box numerous times but have never before had the guts to cut the fabrics and try to design something off the top of my head. I gave myself two hours from beginning to end. That sounds like alot of time. Hopefully, by the end of the month it will be easier, but today it was nerve wracking. Just beginning was tough. I kept wanting to go back downstairs and clean something instead. But I persisted and got it done in the time alotted.

I decided upon a cross motif - one that I have used successfully in the past. I like the curves and think the balance is okay, but I do believe it can use something else. Something to add that 'ahhhh' response to it.




1 comment:

  1. The cross is a powerful symbol for me as well....I like the fact that it is first and foremost and the path of gold color for the cross has a symbolic meaning for my life but I want to do something about the purple side pieces....embellish them, do a rubbing in paints - I dunno!...

    ReplyDelete