Monday, October 19, 2009

Day 19: Slash and Sew

What do you do with a project you don't like? The way I look at it, you have three options: throw it away, try to fix it or punish it by trying different techniques on it. I'm not averse to putting bad work in the trash. Every artist makes mistakes and lots of work gets thrown away. If you can't bear to throw it away, then it can become an albatross around your neck. Albatrosses are something no one needs.
Option 2 is to try and fix it. I've done this...alot. Being a perfectionist can be a real drag, though and this month isn't about being perfect. It's about learning and having fun.
That leaves me with option 3. I think punishing it sounds like the most fun, so that's what I did. The 'victim' is my Christmas background that I discharged. I wasn't too thrilled with it when I first created it. Discharging just made it uglier to me.


I took the project and slashed it vertically and off kilter. Then I inserted green strips between each cut strip.

It already looks better. Yes, I turned it upside down. I had to. I picked a directional fabric (green with gold trees) and when I sewed in the strips, I put them in upside down. Oh well. No biggie.
But I wasn't done yet. If slashing it one way was good, how much better would additional slashing be? I cut the piece into four pieces, turned two on end and sewed them back together.
The result is a Christmas fence rail that looks a little like someone had a bit too much wassail when they pieced it.
Just the same, I kind of like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment