Thursday, October 22, 2009

Day 22: Reverse stained glass


Reverse stained glass is a technique I learned during a class I took from Barbara Olson. In the class, we took a photo of something that had a pleasing composition (I picked a photo of flowers in Yellowstone), outlined the main figures, creating a cartoon of the image, and enlarged the result to create a pattern. Then we made freezer paper templates for each of the segments identified in the original cartoon of the photo. When I chose my photo and outlined over the wildflowers, the result had a stained glass appearance. Barabara suggested I try reverse stained glass. Instead of piecing the templated fabrics together, I cut them a smidgen smaller and fused them to a black background. The photo above shows the result.

Today, I simplified the process to show you how this works. I found a free stained glass pattern on the internet and printed it onto inkjet fusible web. I picked scraps from my stash, cut out the different shapes and fused the fabric to the shapes.

I then placed the fabrics on the black background and fused them. The inkjet fusible web is not sticky backed. In the future, I would use a sticky-backed fusible and transfer the image via a sharpie rather than using the printer.
In order to secure the pieces, I sewed the pieces down using monofilament thread. This process is a fun and quick way to create stained glass quilt blocks. It might be fun to find several of these blocks to create a whole quilt with them in the future. It is also a method that would lend itself well to working with a group of kids, such as a class working on a quilt for a school auction.




No comments:

Post a Comment