Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Two for One Threadplay with Libby Lehman

On Sunday, I took Libby Lehman's "Two for One Threadplay" class. In this class, you use two fabrics and create two mirror-imaged pieces.




The first step is to cut out three pieces of fabric (two of one, fabric A, and one of another, fabric B), add fusible to fabric B. The next step is the most fun - you must channel your inner-Kindergartener and draw funky shapes on the back of Fabric B (on the paper on the fusible web). You end up with ameoba-like shapes. Then you cut out the shapes and fuse the pieces on the outside to one piece of Fabric A and the center area to the other piece. The photo above is the result of the first steps.

After applying stabilizer to back of these pieces (to keep the fabric from bunching up when you sew onto the top of it), you go to town with decorative stitches and fibers, making sure to stitch over the raw edges. One one of the pieces, I stitched over the edges using a very cool variegated thread and used a technique that Libby refers to out-of-control satin stitching where I varied the width and length of the stitch. This made for a striking effect.
On the other piece, I used a variegated piece of yarn and couched over it, giving a softer effect.


I did not finish these projects. By around 3 pm on Sunday, I was wiped out (yes, quilting can be exhausting). They'll get tossed onto my pile of UFOs to be worked on at a later time (when I can no longer see over the pile.).

1 comment: